The Mad Knitter

The mad, mad ramblings of a yarnaholic...

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Knitting is Hot so learn how to Knit!

Knitting is hot right now, so everyone should be doing it. You can so learn hot to knit. The mechanics are actually very easy, and once your hands get used to the motion, you'll never want to put the needles down. You should not have a problem finding a local yarn shop (LYS) with people excited to teach you how to knit, so go fot it! (Look in to taking classes, or teach yourself, depending on your individual learning style.)We are a generation that thrives on multi-tasking and being able to knit means that watching TV is actaully productive. Waiting in doctor's offices, the DMV, airports, train stations, etc. is actually something you'll look forward to because it will give you more time to knit. I love having a bunch of projects going at once so that if I get stuck on one, or bored with a pattern I can just switch to something else for a while. For example, I currently have in production a cardigan with gorgeous yarn I bought in Nova Scotia, a poncho that I had to frog* a foot of because I made a mistake, a summer dress for my Texan niece Madeline, a gray boucle' jacket, another poncho that I'm not sure if I'm ever going to finish, and a purse that just needs the straps sewn on. I think that's all but there could be more lying around my house. Part of the fun is "discovering" a knitting project that I put down months ago and starting it up again. Word of warning: you must take careful note of where you are in a pattern if you tend to put projects down and not pick them up again for months. Take it from me, it's not fun to have to figure out where you were in the middle of increasing a sleeve.

* "Frogging" is when you have to rip out rows in a knitting project because you "rip it, rip it"

1 Comments:

At 3/24/2005 12:17 PM, Blogger Dominica Anne said...

I also am the instant gratification type. Did you try thick yarn on big needles?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home