The Mad Knitter

The mad, mad ramblings of a yarnaholic...

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Do you bloggers speak English or what?

So I logged on today and wasn't sure I had anything to say so I thought I'd surf around and read some blogs for inspiration. Using the "Next Blog" button I eventually came to a blog by some English girl that I think has invented a new English-like dialect. Can anyone read this without screwing their forehead up in frustration?

"...so cricketgyal is back. yeh, so lyk wen my whole template broke down (boohoooo im stil not ova it)...i decided to take a short break to recouperate..."

Ummm is this strange dialect common among the blogging community? Is it just because I'm new that I'm having trouble with this? I really don't understand why anyone would go to all the trouble of sharing their thoughts with the world, but posting it in a made-up language. Can anyone explain this to me? Anyone? Bueller?

7 Comments:

At 3/23/2005 3:10 PM, Blogger Scott Alan Miller said...

What you are seeing is a trickle down version of l33t sp3@k, not sure I got that right, the "matrix" language of script kiddies. Originally it was only used by high school kids wishing they were hackers but it has trickled down to be the writing pattern of the uneducated Internet populus.

The most extreme example is the word "l33t" itself. Script kiddies call each other l33t meaning they are "elite" within their community. Hackers call those same people l33t to mean that they are just script kiddies and not even in the community.

 
At 3/23/2005 3:20 PM, Blogger Dominica Anne said...

Oh ok, I apologize to all you real bloggers out there. I'll just continue to skip over any blog in "script kiddie language" because as you say, it's not like any of them have anything interesting to say anyway.

 
At 3/23/2005 4:05 PM, Blogger RT said...

I don't know Scott, I may have to disagree with you on that one, lol. Sounds to me like the person typing that was just drunk! Or a total goof ball... One or the other, choose your favorite.

I know there's a whole other langauge out there for regular chatroom users (cutting words to be able to type faster,) and it kind of looks like that example, but it doesn't really make much sense to use it in a blog.

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging, Mad Knitter!

 
At 3/23/2005 9:36 PM, Blogger Dominica Anne said...

Thanks for the welcome rt, I'll be checking out your blog.

 
At 3/28/2005 9:43 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

Also, most cannot spell. Seriously, it's all "recouperate", "your tired", "it's significance". NoT CoOL aT aLl.

 
At 3/28/2005 9:43 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3/28/2005 9:47 AM, Blogger Lioness said...

(And so you know, I double posted bcs it gave me an error message, and again when I tried to delete. "Servlet execution threw an exception" - I'll say)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home